Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I know things get better

Hey guys! So I just realized it's been almost two weeks since I've posted anything, so I figured today was the day to get back on it :) These past couple weeks have been a lot of ups and downs for me. There was rarely ever an in between happiness or sadness, it was either one or the other. About three days ago, I was really down. I never showed anyone except my family in America and was discouraged about learning about Italian and struggling to fit into this culture that I had loved from afar at home. That night was a Saturday and I didn't make any plans to go out, since I personally wanted to wallow and watch A Walk to Remember. Well, after 2 hours of wallowing after lunch, Fiorella (my host mother) came in to my room and said, "I called your friends, they'll be here in 20 minutes." So I get up, put on some makeup and something cute and try to feel better. Before we left the house, I told Fiorella that I was sorry for being quiet and seeming sad and am working on it. She told me I could quit, go home and forget about Italy if I wanted to. Honestly, it was tempting for all of about 2 seconds, I knew quitting was not an option, so I swallowed my tears and thought happy things that related to Italy (still didn't want to think about America). I met my friends in the piazza in Martinsicuro and we went to the huge street fair that is held in Grottamare (a city near my school) every year in honor of Saint Martin. God knew I needed to be encouraged that night and He delivered :) I had the best night with my friends, laughing and eating nutella crepes and meeting tons of people from school. Then, on the train home, 2 people asked me about directions and stops on the train in Italian and I could understand and respond!! I was thrilled and couldn't wait to find Fiorella and Giorgio (my host brother) and tell them about what had happened. Slowly I'm picking up more Italian and feel much better about living here this year. I even got "The Notebook" in Italian to try working through. It's the little things that make a difference :) Hope everyone is doing fantastic! Till next time,
Kailey

No comments:

Post a Comment