Thursday, October 13, 2011

Strikes!

Hi guys! This past week has been a full of new experiences for me! I think the most noteworthy one was probably going to a strike. In Italy, public school students are upset with the Prime Minister for cutting funding for public schools and giving that money to private schools, so they organize strikes. Last Friday, I went with my class to protest with them against the government. So many students in the area came out for this, and they just skip school to do it. It was so unlike America and I'm pretty sure I just stared the whole time at everything going on. It was cool to see that these students took an active view on politics in their country, because rarely at home do I see this, unless there are huge issues that hit close to home. The pictures below are from the strike and one of me and my class. As you can see in one of them, at one point all the students sat down in the middle of an intersection and blocked traffic, and it was such a feeling of this is weird and I wonder what American kids would do if we had strikes every couple of months.
Another thing I have been getting used to lately is riding a public city bus, which I know sounds like nothing, but coming from Tennessee, where I don't even think there are buses, to riding one almost everyday is a lot different. It's great though, because I have to use my Italian and speak to the students that have helped me or ask where something is, and it has helped me become more confident in my speaking. It is the greatest feeling when you say something in another language and people understand!
Other than strike, it has been pretty quiet. I did go to a big Sicilian family dinner and it was just like a movie! 4 courses and loud talking and laughter, plus some of the best pizza and pasta I have ever tasted.
This week has brought many new and exciting experiences in my life, and I'm so happy to be here, but I miss everyone at home and cannot wait to see you in June!
-Kailey
P.S sorry for the skipping around, I had too many thoughts I was trying to organize!


No comments:

Post a Comment